Sleep all messed up?
Posted by Charles Waisbren on June 11, 2021 at 8:40 AM
Sleep all messed up since Covid? You are not alone.
How to beat insomnia:
1) 25 minute rule. If you haven't fallen asleep after 25 minutes, get out of bed and try again later.
2) Throw away your worries. Sit down with a piece of paper 1-2 hours before bedtime and write down your worries. Then throw away that piece of paper. You had those thoughts and now they are gone.
3) Only use your devices while standing. When you are tired, put the phone away and get into bed.
4) Follow a daily circadian rhythm. Keep your bedtime and wake up time consistent. The less that you deviate from your normal bed and wake up times the better you will sleep.
5) Make your bed a haven: Reserve your bed for sleep only.
6) Exercise for better sleep.
7) Cut off caffeine at 2 p.m. Caffeine has a half life of 8 hours. It needs to be out of your system at bed time.
8) Follow the two drink rule and stop at least 3 hours before bed. Alcohol suppresses REM sleep.